Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Photographic Treasures

I was going through some photos of when my twins were babies today and found a photo of my grandfather when he was just a baby. Already I had forgotten that I added that image to their book, but my heart melted all over again at the reason. Our oldest son and our daughter were each a ringer, no contest on who Colton looks like (his daddy) and who Ella looks like (mini-me). Then there was Aidan. He shared some features of both sides of the family, but at that point in time, we came to find out he was the spitting image of my grandfather as a baby.

What an amazing blessing that we have that photograph of him! I always liked going through photos and seeing the family resemblences when I was younger and now that I have my own children it's fun to do with them as well! Colton grins and asks questions, and the twins giggle about seeing other family members (mommy and daddy included) when they were babies.

Oftentimes we don't realize that the very things we treasure in the present will still be around when we are gone. The memories that we capture today that make us look for the link to ourselves, ask questions about our family, giggle and even cry will still be around for generations to come. Photos are a gift... even though you will never see some of the people who will discover such treasure.

Here are some of our family treasures... May they inspire you to dust off some of your own family treasures and share them with your children.


The above mentioned image of my grandfather.
Luker Family Photos




The little girl is his mother (aka my great-grandmother) with her parents (my great-great grandparents) Even though I never met these people, I see my Great Uncle Mick in my great-great grandfather and I see my grandfather's face in that of my great-great grandmother. My son's chubby little cheeks, straight from my great-grandmother. Talk about priceless.
Luker Family Photos




This is my grandmother's senior portrait. I had the incredible blessing of living next door to my grandparents until I left home. They were married for 61 years before she passed away. I love them both incredibly and carry them in my heart always. <3
Luker Family Photos


No comments: